The other day I posted a picture of my zoodles (zucchini noodles) on the Interwebs and people went gaga. I feel you, people. Now, let’s be honest: I’m super late to the zoodle game. But that aside, I have quickly learned to love these little suckers. For starters, they are a super healthy alternative to pasta noodles.
One oz of:
- Whole Wheat noodles is 35 calories, 7.5g of carbs
- Regular pasta noodles is 45 calories, 8.7g of carbs
- Zucchini is 5 calories, 1.1g of carbs
And the average person eats roughly 5-8 oz. of pasta noodles in one sitting. Need I say more?
Not only are they lower in calories and net carbs but also super simple to prepare and substitute in for just about any recipe that requires pasta noodles. (Even for someone like me who struggles in the kitchen). Since I’m not good “off the cuff”, I’ve done a lot of searching for quick and easy recipes and trust me there is no shortage of them.
I mean, go to Pinterest and search zoodle recipes; you’ll find plenty. But since zoodles have become a staple in my house and I’ve easily tried what feels like a gazillion different iterations, I thought I’d share my top 5 favorite recipes with you. Only 5 right now, because that’s what I’m eating. (Don’t judge, I’m a creature of habit and will eat these five to death until I’m ready to expand my zoodle repertoire). Without further ado:
Mecca’s Top 5 Zoodle Recipes
- Prawn and Pepper Courgette Stir Fry by Madeleine Shaw (courgette is zucchini); If the stir fry is too spicy for you (because given the spices it calls for, it does have a little kick), you can try this Shrimp Scampi by Jo Cooks recipe, instead
- Zucchini and Meatballs by Skinnytaste (sometimes when I’m being super lazy, I use pre-cooked meatballs, both beef and turkey)
- Zucchini Salad with Avocado and Edamame by Skinnytaste (no cooking required on this one)
- One Skillet Garlic Parmesan Noodles by Almost Supermom (so easy and so good!)
- Lemon Garlic Chicken Zoodles by The Iron You (lemon. garlic. chicken = yes, yes, yes)
P.S. Don’t forget to get a spiralizer. Most people get the Veggetti to spiralize their zucchini or any other vegetable you can think.
Tell me: Have you tried zoodles? Any recipes you love? Please share!
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate links (for the spiralizer).