I can’t believe it’s the last Friday of the month. Did it fly by for you? Because it definitely flew by for me. I mean, I feel like I was just bringing in the New Year binging-watching Making a Murderer in my NYC apartment, but here we are in almost February.
I started the year off talking about some goals for myself and next week, I’m prepared to do a check-in on how I performed this month, and talk about what I have on the docket for next month but in the meantime, I wanted to share my favorite things from this week because it’s Friday Favorites. So grab your coffee, wine (because it’s 5 o’clock somewhere) or whatever your drink of choice is and catch-up with me.
Quote of the week: “Do. Or do not. There is no try.” — Yoda
- Boy oh boy, this was the week of so many ridiculous out bursts of laughter, starting with @PolyTheFrenchie. I mean, if you do nothing else, please just take a peek at a few of her captions. She’s hilarious.
- So, like it or not there is a part of SF that no one really talks or tells you about before you move here. While beautiful, San Francisco is know for its bustling… homeless population and unfortunately some pretty unsavory characters. Because I’ve watched too many episodes of Dateline in my day, and I’m a single female living in a city I’m not yet familiar with, I wanted to get some pepper spray or mace to carry around. [Side note: I always thought about this when I was in NYC but with so many people around, and the comfort I felt knowing the city, I didn’t feel the sense of urgency that I do now.] Since this is not my “area of expertise”, I asked my friend’s husband (who is a police officer in DC) for some suggestions on brands (because I’m a brand lady) and this is what I got back. Hoff = nickname.
- Not much on the beauty front this week, however, I did share some of my cold weather skin essentials.
- Remember how I missed my bus stop the other day? Well it was because I was listening to this fun Songs to Sing in the Shower playlist. Highlights include: Maneater by Hall & Oates, What’s Up by Four Non Blondes, September by Earth, Wind & Fire, Africa by Toto and U Can’t Touch This by M.C. Hammer.
- Other playlists of note: Hip Hop (Throwbacks: The Gold School and 90s, Newer stuff: HH Club Bangers), Bring Back the 80s, All Out 90s, Bring back the 2000s.
- Have you ever read something and thought, “Omg, I absolutely could have written this because I feel exactly the same way?” Well this is exactly what I thought when I read fellow blogger Melissa’s post about the “Anatomy of a First Date.” It cracked me up because that’s how it goes. Glad to know I’m not the only one.
- Not that I’ve been dating a ton in SF just yet, but I’m definitely saving this article on “Date Night Ideas in San Francisco that Aren’t Restaurants“, as I’m sure it’ll come in handy soon enough.
- If you’ve been reading recently, you may have heard me mention that I haven’t been getting the best sleep. As a result, I’ve been having a really hard time getting out of bed. Maybe this snooze-proof alarm clock will do the trick?
- Mike and Megan from The Fresh Exchange gave some blogging advice about writing without fear and let me tell you, it spoke volumes to me. For those of you who don’t know, I started a blog 9 years ago as a way to heal after a break-up. When I first started writing, it was raw and emotional; and I really didn’t care what the person on the other end of the screen thought of what I had to say. But as time has gone on, and my blog has now shifted from solely being just an online personal diary, I’ve become hyper-aware of who’s reading it, what I’m saying and if I’m offending anyone. And while I want to remain sensitive to those concerns, I also need to remember why I started this whole journey and not to lose sight of writing just because I feel like it.
- These posted by Blondes & Bagels. Who else needs some new pencils?
Health and Fitness
- Who loves Peanut Butter? I do. Here are Healthy Recipes for Peanut Butter Lovers. PB lovers unite! (via Carrots n Cake)
- I think we all know why we should drink more water, but I always appreciate the reminder. (via Fannetastic Food)
Which reminds me, I’m parched so I should probably have some water. Highlights of my weekend will include a Soul Survivor class at Soul with Cassie (I need a good sweat!) and a Bay Area NYC expats meet-up, because you know…I have to connect with my people. 😉 Have a great weekend, friends!
Tell me: What are your weekend plans? What are your favorite Instagram accounts? (I need some variety in my feed.)
PS: Happy birthday to my friend Carol (who I know will read this).
Are we friends on the Interwebs? If not, let’s connect!